Shrimp and Grits

So I was in the mood for a southern comfort dish tonight.  And I got so excited that the green onions I planted from seeds where ready to be picked.  One of my favorite comfort dishes is Shrimp & Grits.  I love both individually so when you put them together it is like magic!!  You may add as little or a lot of cheese to this dish....it's all based on your taste.  I like LOTS of cheese and a variety is always best.

 Serves 4

Grits: 
1 cup stone ground white grits (my favorite are Daniel Boone from NC - mom ships them to me)
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups hot water
salt & pepper (to taste)
White Cheddar Cheese
Goat Cheese
Jalapeno & Peppadew Cheddar Cheese

Shrimp: 
4 slices bacon, chopped
1 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined
2 spring onions, chopped
fresh parsley, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
Lemon juice from 1 - 2 fresh lemons

1. Bring broth and water to boil in a saucepan.  Add grits, salt and pepper and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed.
2.  Meanwhile saute bacon in a frying pan until crisp.  Remove bacon and a little bit of the grease. Cook shrimp in remaining bacon grease until pink on both sides (about 1-2 minutes total).  Do NOT overcook.
3. Add onions, parsley, garlic and lemon juice to shrimp and cook for 1 minute or less.  You may want to turn off the heat and just stir around with shrimp.  Add the drained bacon pieces to shrimp.
4.  After grits are done, add the cheeses to taste; stir. 
5.  Plate grits into a shallow bowl and top with shrimp. 

Comments

Popular Posts