Vegetable Chili

If you live in L.A. you will know that it was freezing tonight so I decided to make chili for dinner.  And for all my vegetarian friends out there it had no meat....oops but I did use a cup of beef broth but no worries you can use vegetable broth instead. It was delicious!!


Serves 6

Olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 leek, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
6 portobello mushrooms, chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 beer (my favorite is Heineken) you can drink the other half. :)
1 cup beef or vegetable broth
One, 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
One, 15 oz. can of Rotel (Diced tomatoes with green chilis)
One, 15 oz. can of Chili beans
One, 15 oz. can of Black beans, drained
One, 15 oz. can of White or Northern Beans, drained
1/4 Teaspoon of Cayenne pepper
1/2 Teaspoon of Cumin
1-2 Tablespoons of Chili Powder
1/2 Teaspoon of salt (I used Applewood Smoked salt)

1. In a large pot, saute onion, leek, red bell pepper in olive oil for a couple of minutes.
2. Add mushrooms, garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
3. Add beer, broth, tomatoes, rotel, beans, cayenne, cumin, chili powder and salt. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 1 hour or more.
4. Serve with white cheddar cheese and sour cream.

I originally forgot to take a picture because I was so hungry....see picture below.  Then Parker went back for seconds so I was able to snag the photo above that was loaded with cheese.

Comments

Popular Posts