- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sized broccoli head, broken into large florets
- 3 medium sized Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth, plus more if needed
- 1 cup white wine (Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 slices of cooked bacon, chopped (optional)
- Chopped green onion or chives for garnish
- Select the sauté function on the Instant Pot.
- Once hot, add butter, crushed garlic, red onion, red bell pepper. Saute about 2 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add broccoli, potatoes, wine and broth. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Secure the lid. Select manual and cook at high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Once cooking is complete, select cancel and use the natural release for 10 minutes. Remove any remaining steam.
- Blend with an immersion blender until smooth, or blend in batches in a large blender. Add the half and half and 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese. If you want a thinner soup, add more broth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with remaining cheddar, green onions and bacon (if using). Can serve with crusty French bread or side salad.